The most difficult part of owning a dog, is the understanding that they in the grand scheme of things won’t live or last as long as us. Depending on a dogs breed their life span average is 10 to 12 years. With that said many of us have heard a story or two of someones dog living to be 18 or 19 years of age, but this is more of an exception rather than the norm.
Many factors can contribute to the lifespan of a dog. Some of these factors can include but are not limited to.
1. A dogs size, with smaller breeds on average living 1.5 times longer than their larger counterparts.
2. Spaying or neutering, which is said to lengthen a dogs lifespan by lowering their risk of certain cancers and diseases.
3. Gender, with females on average living longer.
4. Nutrition. By feeding your dog healthy food you can increase its lifespan.
5. Keeping vaccinations up to date.
6. Taking care of your dogs teeth.
7. Physical and mental health, which includes proper exercise along with loving and properly caring for your dog.
What would you do if you knew today was your dogs last day? Whatever the reason, how would you make this day memorable, how would you make this the best day ever? It’s hard to not tear up when really considering this concept, but try.
For starters how about feeding your dog his favorite foods? I know my dog would love a couple of burgers for lunch, along with a big steak for dinner maybe I’d add in some strawberries and snap peas because he loves those too! Next we would go for the best off leash walk ever, with a long hike through the rainforest, I would make sure the whole family was there, because we all love each other so much. Snacks did I mention those? Today would include a lot of snacks. I would make sure he had a new deer antler to chew on, along with a brand new toy.
There would be a lot of family cuddles. Of course there would be photos taken, because this day like everyday with your dog is special, but even more so.