It is not uncommon for an animal to ingest a poison or toxic substance. If your dog is behaving abnormally, or if you have witnessed it ingesting a toxic substance, you should immediately take your dog to a veterinarian for treatment, as it may have poisoned itself.
Veterinarians use a system of measurement called body condition scoring to determine your dog or cat's level of fitness. The points range from one to five, where one means the animal is very thin – almost to the point of emaciation – and five is indicative of obesity.
Prognosis of this disease largely depends on the underlying cause and treatment offered. However, proper diet, timely administration of medicines, complete rest, and regular monitoring will help your dog throughout the healing process.