An Iowa bulldog baring a funny resemblance to the military vehicle he which he was named, took home the crown at Drake University’s annual Beautiful Bulldog Contest. He will now serve as Mascot for the Drake Relays.
The contest was held Sunday, April 19th, at the Des Moines university. 50 Bulldogs from around the country gathered to compete for the title of “Most Beautiful,” in which Tank emerged victoriously. This particular pageant is not judged on perfection. These judges want to see the slobber, drool and bulging, bloodshot eyes synonymous with English bulldogs. Tank gave them everything they were looking for, and was then awarded a cape, a crown and lots of hugs from his owners.
Tank didn’t always belong to Duane Smith. He was listed on Craig’s list by his previous owner. Smith, however, new that Tank had potential from the moment he saw him. Now, in addition to sharing his home with a Pomeranian and some turtles, Tank is making international headlines.
“He loves to play tug of war, he’s friendly with the neighbors—he’s a great dog”
In addition to Tank, seven other Bulldogs from four states were given awards:
Steve, a second-time contest competitor who this year amused audiences by refusing to walk the pageant catwalk, owned by Bruce Myers of Des Moines. *Also voted Porterhouse People’s Choice.
- Second Runner-up: Scruffy, a yoga ball-loving canine who calls himself Drake’s No. 1 fan, owned by Elizabeth Ahrens of Lee’s Summit, Mo.
- Drake Spirit: Sweet Sassy Molassy, a 1-year-old sweetheart who loves to snuggle, owned by Janalyn Phillips of Waukee, Iowa.
- Family Theme: Billy, an eye patch-sporting pirate who plundered the catwalk on a pirate ship sailed by his owner, Natasha Jodoin of Altoona, Iowa.
- Congeniality: Princess Mabel Duchess of Johnston, whose blinking blue hair extensions matched those of her owner, Christina Gatto of Des Moines.
- Best Dressed: Linus the Lovebug, a rescue bullie with heart-shaped sunglasses and glittery ladybug wings, owned by Rebecca Richardson of Washington, Ill.
- Rescue Dog Recognition: Pudge, who was rescued in Memphis, Tenn., and fostered by two recent Drake alumni who were inspired by the University’s late live mascot, Porterhouse. Owned by Maria Zhorne of Memphis. (Source)
In this video, Tank’s owner talks about finding him on Craig’s List.