When a house fire broke out last week, quick thinking from a heroic neighbor and determined firefighters ensured the safety of several pet dogs who would likely not have otherwise survived the blaze.
It is thought that the fire, which began in Manchester, UK, was started when a dog knocked over a heat lamp in his kennel, which then set alight the dogs’ straw bedding.
A heroic neighbor who had seen the smoke rising from the building ran from his home and went up against the flames, in order to drag six of the family’s dogs out to safety, while two adults and six children who had been in the house escaped unharmed.
Two more dogs were pulled out from the blazing kennel, although neither were found to not have a heartbeat. However, thanks to expert use of CPR and an oxygen mask, determined firefighters refused to give up on the dogs without a fight. Firefighter Dale Chetto recalls the moment he successfully resuscitated one of the family’s young terriers, with the help of four of his colleagues:
“He was only small, I could hold him in my hand, and when I first pulled him out I could not feel a pulse… I was doing heart massage for about five minutes until I started feeling a beat in his chest.”
Witnesses described the moment the dogs opened their eyes for the first time as extremely emotional
The two dogs were quickly taken to an emergency veterinarian for additional treatment, and are expected to make a full recovery. The Fire Service have since highlighted the risk involved with putting heated objects within kennels, due to the often flammable nature of their bedding.
1 Daily Mail