LEVITTOWN, Pa. — A six month old Can Corso puppy, Jasper, is recovering well after an emergency surgery to remove two toys he ingested. The lively, loving, playful pup decided to make this holiday a memorable one.
Jasper’s owner, Michael Ehrlich, grew concerned when he wasn’t able to digest food, with repeated bouts of vomiting. Despite the fact his energy levels were normal, he knew something was wrong. X-rays, taken at the Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Care, confirmed his suspicions. Jasper had swallowed two plastic balls. They occupied much of the space in his stomach cavity.
His veterinarian, Dr. Scott Joudrey, said “dogs eat crazy things” and wasn’t surprised to find that he’d ingested his own toys. Ingesting foreign objects is something veterinarians commonly encounter in their practice. Dr. Joudrey has removed baby soothers, and even a pair of boots from the stomachs of other dogs.
Jasper was one of many dogs that swallowed something he shouldn’t have. Jack, a two-and-a-half year old American Bulldog from Columbus Ohio ate part of his Christmas gift. Jack began to throw up water, and stopped having bowel movements and his owner became increasingly concerned. When realized Jack had swallowed the ball off the ball-and-rope toy he’d received for Christmas he rushed Jack to the vet.
The emergency surgery Jack required would cost $2,000 and his owner, who is battling his own illness, couldn’t afford the life-saving procedure. In a strong showing of the true spirit of Christmas friends, and strangers came to his aid, fundraising the dollars required to ensure Jack would get the treatment he needed.
Jack and Jasper are both on the mend today. Their stories serve as strong reminders to all pet owners to be aware of what our pets are playing with, and what the signs and symptoms of ingesting a foreign object are.
Please play our new game where you can vote on your favorite dogs- Fetchy!