NEWCASTLE, England — Murphy, a 7-year-old German Shepherd from Newcastle, is recovering after having surgery last week to remove six golf balls discovered in his stomach. The dog, who fell ill earlier this month, had emergency surgery after X-rays revealed the objects inside the dog.
David Larson, the dog’s owner, took Murphy into Westway Veterinary Group hospital earlier this month after the dog became sick. The dog had some precautionary X-rays taken, and it was then discovered that there were six unidentified round objects in his stomach. The dog was immediately taken in for emergency surgery.
A team of Vets at the animal hospital performed the delicate surgery, and the objects, which turned out to be golf balls, were removed from the dog’s stomach.
“I was a bit shocked by the X-ray, I didn’t know what they were at the time. The vet said they could be coins as they were all different sizes. I couldn’t believe it when I heard he had swallowed six golf balls,” said Larson.
Larson rescued Murphy from a dog’s home 18 months ago, and thinks that the balls must have been inside him all that time, as he has never walked anywhere near a golf course.
It has been a few weeks since the operation and Murphy is recovering well — he’s eating his food and running around a bit. Larson says that the dog seems to be much happier and more playful than he was before the surgery. The animal hospital that performed the surgery is warning dog owners to not let their dogs play with golf balls.
“I’m going to make sure he is never given bones or allowed anywhere near a golf course in future,” said Larson.
Just this month, Tiki a Labrador Retriever in Pennsylvania had 62 hairbands, eight pairs of underwear, a Band-Aid and four elastic bands surgically removed from her stomach. The dog is recovering well after the surgery.