In Ulysses New York, a dog has saved the lives of his two owners and family. The man and the woman were in bed sleeping until they were unusually woken by their dog. The dog wouldn’t leave them alone.
The dog wasn’t going to let them go back to bed, so they went to see what the issue was. They smelt a strange odor coming from downstairs; perhaps this is what the doggy was trying to say.
The man went downstairs noticed that indeed the dog was trying to tell them something, they had a chimney fire.
Yup, a chimney fire.
They immediately called the fire department, who stayed until 7:30 to quell the flames. The couple made it out safely with all their pets thanks to the help of their dog.
There have been stories of animals waking owners in the case of a fire before, but this dog was a bit different.
The man was suffering from an injury in his leg, and the dog was only trying to wake him where he would feel it the most, his injury. The man later said the dog “jumped on my bad leg and wouldn’t stop.”
The family has been displaced by the fire, the fire damaged rooms on two floors and smoke damaged much of the rest of the house.
Incidents like this are testament to the intelligence of dogs, this dog knew the man had a bad leg and knew exactly where on the leg to touch.
The smoke detectors had not gone off, but the dog knew something was wrong and knew what to do. The Assistant Fire Chief Rob Ferrentino is quoted as saying “The dog’s a freaking hero. The dog saved their lives” and later “All I know is that if it was my dog, he’d be eating a steak right now.” That’s a happy thought.