We all want to celebrate Valentine’s Day with our dogs but our dogs might not always feel the same way. Here are four reasons why your dog might think about skipping out on the festivities with you this year. Beware!
Many flowers can be toxic and make your dog very ill. Even the water that some of these flowers are kept in, if drank, can cause your dog harm. Keeping your flowers in a place your dog can’t get to and making sure no pollen can drip onto the floor is a good idea.
A lot of candy contains Xylitol, which is a natural sweetner that helps keep treats sugar free. For dogs Xylitol can cause liver failure among other nasty effects, so be sure to keep candy out of your dogs reach.
Chocolate contains chemicals called methylxanthines: theobromine and caffeine. When ingested chocolate can cause gastrointestinal, cardiovascular and neurological problems. To make it more deadly, chocolate mixed with macadamia nuts, espresso beans or raisings could make the chocolate more lethal. Be very careful with any chocolate you bring into the house.
Balloons can seem like play toys to dogs but broken and ingested they can cause intestinal blockage which could kill your dog. Keep your balloons in a place your dog can’t get to.