SANTA FE, N.M. — It was an unusual week for Dr. Snook at the Santa Fe Animal Shelter and Humane Society.
Honey, an ailling Dogue de Bordeaux ,was brought to the veterinarians at the Thaw Animal Hospital in the shelter by an owner who didn’t know where else to turn. Honey had originally been diagnosed with a urinary tract infection however she was clearly deteriorating quickly.
Immediately brought into surgery, the vets found a very strange thing in Honey’s intestines. She had swallowed a six-inch by two-inch stuffed toy — a polar bear. Had the mystery illness gone on for several more days, Honey would have surely died.
Thankfully, Honey is going to be just fine.
“Just wanted to give you all an update on Honey, the dog who swallowed a stuffed toy,” the shelter posted to their Facebook page.
“She’s doing well and will be released to her owner today. Turns out the stuffed toy was actually a polar bear, complete with black nose an ribbon. Dr. Snook said the dog had been vomiting for about a week, so that’s when we think she swallowed the toy. We’re so happy we were able to help her out – a couple more days and she would not have made it.”