Canterbury, UK – When Ace, a 2 year old black Labrador, accidentally ingested rat poison after walking on a farm, his life was in peril. After being assessed at his local vet, Ace was transferred to Canterbury Critical Care.
Ace’s owner, Chloe Muir-Smith, was advised that the only way he could survive was with a blood transfusion. Dogs, like us, have blood types and in order to be a successful candidate for transfusion dogs must be of a certain weight, of similar size, and up-to-date on vaccinations.
Though there was an option to save Ace, there was a giant hurdle that needed to be overcome, Canterbury Critical Care was out of blood. Devastated with this news Muir-Smith turned to facebook for help. Port Dover Immigration Officer, Stacey Gott, was working a night shift, saw the critical status, and realized her dog Grace, 2, might be the dog to save her friend Ace.
Grace was found to be a match. The race to save Ace began at a rapid rate. Within hours of the transfusion he was already improving. Gott says:
“It is amazing that he’s still here, he was at death’s door. He couldn’t even lift his head when I got there.”
Ace was released from the Canterbury Critical Care two days later and is back to being his waggly-tailed happy self.
Both Gott and Muir-Smith are sharing this heartwarming tale to draw much needed attention to canine blood services. Now, these two childhood friends are encouraging everyone interested to get more information about canine blood donation services from local their local veterinarians.