NOTTINGHAM, England — A Shar-Pei puppy named Elmo, is lucky to be alive after being rescued from an owner who didn’t know the first thing about caring for him. When the pup was rescued, he was suffering from a serious case of dehydration, had a weakened immune system, a case of mange and was balding. On top of that the woman mistreated the balding by placing two coats on the dog and turning the heat up, which only increased his dehydration.
Finally after Elmo’s fur had all but fallen out, the woman contacted an animal charity for help. When the Shar-Pei Rescue of Great Britain arrived to her home, they quickly saw that Elmo was severely dehydrated and overheated. To combat the dehydration, the rescue staff gave Elmo water every twenty minutes for fives hours and had to place his whole body into a bucket of cool water. As the rescue brought the dog back to the shelter, they feared he would not survive.
However, Elmo wasn’t so quick to give up on life and after being placed into foster care and on the appropriate medication, he began his road to recovery. Today, the young dog’s fur has already started to grow back and he is expected to be healthy enough for adoption in a few months. As for the dogs former owner, the rescue reveals that it is often not intentional for an owner to neglect a dog like this but rather they don’t do the proper research ahead of buying a particular breed. One staff member acknowledged, ‘I think with Elmo it was more to do with ignorance than mistreatment – people shouldn’t have a Shar-Pei unless they have good insurance or lots of money.’ To donate to Elmo’s medical expenses follow this link.